By Professor Tom Shillea, Director of the Art Department at NCC

A new book titled African American Women published by the Smithsonian and the National Museum of African American History and Culture. The book reproduces one of my iconic portraits of Coretta Scott King along with the photos of other notable photographers.

This book is the third in a series of 4 (see attachment with info on all 4 books) based upon the remarkable photographic collection supporting the Earl W. and Amanda Stafford Center for African American Media Arts at the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and culture. From daguerreotype portraits taken from the Civil War to twenty-first century digital prints, this series is a striking record of key historical events, cultural touchstones, and private and communal moments that helps to illuminate African American life.

An interesting side story is that my photographs of Coretta Scott King came to the attention of the Chief Curator of the NMAAHC, Dr. Jacquelyn Days Server when I meet her during her visit to NCC about 5 years ago. Dr. Server invited me to visit her in Washington DC to show her my portfolio of King portraits, from which she selected three images for the Museum collection.