Glenn Koehler, Jr., a Northampton Community College communication design student in Professor Tom Shillea’s digital photography class, has won first place in the 2015 ArtsQuest/Olympus Invision College Photography Competition. The competition highlights the work of students from colleges and university throughout the Northeast. Koehler’s image from a Flaming Lips show at Musikfest on August 7 of this year, titled “Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots,” was the top prize-winning entry. The title is also the name of the band’s first album. Yoshi and the Pink Robots

“The study of how light can affect the world around us and what details can lie in the shadows have enamored me more and more as I’ve gotten older,” Koehler says of his love of photography. “The entire Flaming Lips concert was full of surreal imagery and magical music, and I hope I captured the essence of that with my photograph.”

Koehler’s photograph and those of second and third place winners from Lehigh University and Kutztown University, respectively, are on exhibit in the Hallway Gallery in the Banana Factory in Bethlehem through December 13. You can see more of Koehler’s work on his website.

This year’s college photography contest was judged by Rick Smolan, a former Time, Life and National Geographic photographer who is best known as the co-creator of the “Day in the Life” book series.

Originally posted onĀ http://northampton.edu/news-and-events/ncc-student-wins-photography-award.htm