Communication Design Courses
Humanities & Social Sciences
Degree awarded: Associate in Applied Science
Two options: New Media and Print/Web
Communication design is a dynamic and growing profession in the media marketplace. Development in new Internet technology and capabilities, as well as the proliferation of PDAs, require people with interactive design skills and knowledge to create content for these new communication networks. The Communication Design program will assist you in developing the creative, conceptual and technical skills necessary to meet the challenge of digital, print, and social media marketplaces and will offer the opportunity to gain employment in the field, or to transfer to a four-year institution. You’ll be prepared to work within the social networking world of Twitter and Facebook; you’ll know how to launch ideas and apps through smart phones and tablets.
The program offers students an opportunity to select a ‘specialized track’ in their second year of studies – either Print/Web or New Media.
Northampton’s Communication Design program offers you a well-balanced education through classroom and computer lab learning experiences under the supervision of talented and experienced instructors, in the College’s state-of-the-art facilities. This education will be critical when you enter the workforce or transfer to baccalaureate degree programs.
Who should apply for this program?
- High school graduates.
- College students.
- Individuals presently employed in the communications field seeking an opportunity to upgrade current skills and knowledge.
- Individuals considering a career change.
As a graduate of the Communication Design you can expect to find employment as a graphic designer, computer graphics artist, free-lance designer, web designer, or new media designer with such employers as advertising agencies, graphic design studios, newspapers, publication companies, in-house corporate communication departments, to name a few.
Applicants to the program should contact the Admissions Office at 610-861-5500 for general information on applying to the College.
*Program course of studies offered only in the day.
Graduates of the program will:
- Recognize and use technical and aesthetic terminology of communication design.
- Create work that exhibits proficiency in both design and technical aspects of new media including print, web, motion design, and video game design.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the design industries’ best-practices and theories that reflect current and historical cultural trends.
- Understand basic principles and practices of marketing and advertising.
- Create a professional design portfolio (hard copy and web) and professional identity kit.
- Be prepared for an entry-level position in communication design.